Tuesday, December 4, 2012

flat land.

What is it about flat land? Why is it that "flat" journeys are attractive to the human heart? Is it the ease? The lack of stress? The fact that no "muscle" is needed? Anyone can walk a smoothly paved road.

But what if we weren't created to walk flat terrain? There is something about the human heart that yearns for adventure... wonders if there is something more. More than simply picking ones feet up... over and over again.

You see, we often think we accomplish more or travel further as a result of the effortless landscape. But we instead, become numb... Complacent. We get "lulled to sleep" by the repeated motion of our simplistic steps.

Have you ever stopped to think that the heart longs for a struggle of sorts? A challenge? I firmly believe that is true. But our hearts are innately infused with a desire to excel. To succeed. To reach our utmost potential. And because of our brokenness, we think we need to settle to reach that success, whatever that success might be. But settling never got anyone to the top of Mount Everest.

The view after climbing a mountain is irreplaceable. Trust me. This past March, I experienced the biggest workout of my life as I climbed to Romero Pools in Tucson, Arizona. The views, however, were worth it all. Don't get me wrong, there were definitely times I wanted to turn back. After all, this Indiana girl is not accustomed to the drastic incline of the Southwest. But every time I had the desire to return to the flat, desert land, I would simply stop and take time to view the horizon. You can't see a view like that without some sort of struggle or effort (unless you own your own private plane). But that's besides the point.

With that said, mountains cannot exist without the presence of valleys. It's impossible. At some point, you have to come down. Experience the "lows" of life. For those who know me even slightly, you know I am not a fan of emotional roller coasters. But life is not a "walk in the park"... nor is it a stroll down the lane. We are hit with reality... with moments when we discover our view is no longer thrilling... but rather, mundane and lacking luster.

But obviously, we must, and will encounter both. The highest peaks and the deepest valleys alike. Lessons learned in the valleys are not the same as those learned on the mountain top. Nor are they purposed to be. The uneven terrain is a paradox. The unevenness is necessary to keep us "grounded." It keeps us looking ahead, and behind, with the proper perspective.

When arriving in the valley, one can look behind and see the peak from which he came... while also knowing that he can face the peak that lies ahead. I think we have to face a peak, before we can begin to understand the strength of Christ in our weak, and sometimes lazy, legs. To awaken the knowledge that is is He that is ordering each and every step. That even the most mundane steps... as well as the most trying treads, can be overflowing with purpose.

I've climbed some mountains the past few years... both literally and figuratively speaking. I've journeyed through some valleys as well. And if I'm speaking honestly, I've been worn out countless times. My legs have felt like jello. But that "jello feeling" only lasts for so long.

We were created to adapt. To thrive.

Although the journey is often trying and tragic, the heart has an opportunity to soak in some crazy views... from both high and low standings.

My memory has been flooded with some incredible scenery. The journey was not and is not always pleasant. But at least I'm not walking comatose through this life. Because when you consider the views to be seen, that would just be a shame.

All I know is this...

I was not created for flat land.



No comments:

Post a Comment