Tuesday, March 29, 2011

[Who is] Your Mirror?

Right now my church, Pathway, is going through the book of James. I decided that I would read through it over and over, throughout the sermon series. It has quickly become one of my favorite books of the New Testament.

James 1:19-25 says,

"My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires. Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you. Do no merely listen to the word and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it- he will be blessed in what he does."


From a very young age, we learn that taking a quick "mirror check" is what one does before leaving the house. I am pretty sure I have never left the house without doing so. It is second nature. It's as if we allow this piece of glass to determine our worth, as our reflection silently proclaims whether or not we are "put together" enough to face the day. Whether a good or bad hair day, this image is usually what sticks with us...

Needless to say, I was pretty convicted after reading what James had to say concerning where our focus should rest. I quickly realized that, far too often, a piece of glass that can shatter in an instant takes more priority in my life than "the perfect law that gives freedom." And the latter does not fade. Or shatter. Or disappear. Or distract. Or distort. 


"But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it- he will be blessed in what he does."

Look intently. The Word of our God gives freedom like no earthly piece of glass can ever give. But don't just look once and walk away. Continue to peer through the pages of the Word of Life. At times, the reflection may be painful, and not exactly what we hoped to see as we are hit with the drastic truth of our depravity. But the Gospel does not stop there. This perfect and priceless Mirror paints the most beautiful picture of Grace you have ever seen.

Who is your mirror?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Lauren, for leading me to stop and truly think of the "image" I carry with me and focus on. I too don't leave without making sure I look okay, regardless of whatever may be on the inside. I love what you said about looking like we are "put together to face the day." It really hit me that if I am going to attempt to get through each day I need to make sure I have my heart for Him in check. I truly was challenged by what you wrote, yet again :) Thank you for sharing your beautiful heart and all that God continues to teach you. Such a blessing! You are a phenomenal writer as well, I always enjoy your notes! Can't wait for the next one!! <3

    ReplyDelete